Pt. Jaddu Maharaj Ji
JMS Sangeet Academy
J.M.S Sangeet Academy is dedicated to the memory of Pt. Jaddu Maharaj Ji, the Maestro of Tabla. It is headed by Shri Jay Bhagwaan ‘Yaad’ as President and Shri Jay Shankar Mishra as General Secretary. The Academy was established in 1996, in Dehradun. Since its inception, this academy has organized more than 500 programs in Dehradun, Delhi, and Kolkata. J.M.S held its first program in Kolkata in Jan 2010 in collaboration with Tanchakra music society. Many renowned artists such as Padma Vibhushan Pandit Birju Maharaj Ji, Padma Vibhushan Vidhusi Girija Devi Ji, Padma Bhushan Pandit Rajan, and Pandit Sajan Mishra Ji have honored the academy with their presence and performances in the various programmers. J.M.S. will celebrate its 20 years of completion this year. Recently, the academy has started a new initiative to impart training to more than 20 children from economically weaker backgrounds free of cost, which is made possible only with the undying support of parents.
Pandit JAY SHANKAR MISHRA is the grandson of Renowned Tabla Player Pt. Jaddu Maharaj Ji and The son of equally Renowned Father Pt. Jagdish Shankar Mishra (Pt. Lallu Maharaj) of the benaras Gharana.
He is the founder member of this JMS Sangeet Academy. Since 1996, he is acting as the General Secretary of the Academy. He is a Graded Artist in All India Radio & Doordarshan, New Delhi. He has also been awarded with “TAL MANI” Samman from Sur Singar Samsad, Mumbai. In addition to this, he is an empanelled artist of ICCR and also of Spic Macay. In 2009- Mr. Mishra got the “Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Award” Which was one of the greatest successes in itself by Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi.
The Academy organise every years five Programmes, named as :-
- All India Pt. Jaddu Maharaj Sangeet Samaroh- this year in the month of October, 20th Program will be held in Dehradun where artists from all over India will participate.
- Umang – In Delhi, ‘Umang’ is organized annually since 2004, for the young talent to showcase their expertise in different fields of music and dance. So far, it has witnessed more than 400 Children’s participation. The main aim of ‘Umang’ is to nurture and maintain the traditions of music along with encouraging, young talent to learn and perform.
- Guru Shishya Sangeet Parampara- where the teacher and student perform together
- Swaranjali ( Swarao ki Anjali)- as tribute to his father –cum-guru Pt Jagdish Kumar Mishra by all family members and students of the academy.
- Swarasya Vrishtri ( Swaron ki barish) –where promising youngsters perform together with distinguished guest artists.